Trying to eat up all the odds and ends that have collected in the kitchen and pantry leads to a weird food day.
- Slightly out of date yogurt. (If you thought those cultures were active before the expiration, you should see the Zumba dance-off they have beginning at 12:01am the day after expiration!)
- The fruit formerly known as Banana.
- The last of the stale-ish pita crisps with jalapeno mint jelly.
- That frozen dinner even Matt won’t eat.
- The last of the jalapeno olives.
- The last of the Castelvetrano olives.
- The last of the cracked olives.
- Enough vodka to retroactively make martinis with said olives. Wish I’d thought of that before I ate the olives.
- I wonder if I could finish the last of the pickles?
On the menu tomorrow:
- Try to finish off the last of the jalapeno mint jelly by slathering it onto the last of the bread-and-butter pickle chips.
- More out of date yogurt.
- Is that coat of mold part of the cheese or something that came later?
- Something made with vegetable stock.
- Something made with frozen blueberries.
- Hey, is blueberry soup a thing? I’ll find out tomorrow.
- Last of about 4 or 5 different kinds of frozen vegetables, each with less than a single serving left in the bag.
- Archeological expedition to the bottom of the chest freezer in the garage. Send a rescue party if I’m not back by Sunday.
So I’m steaming some frozen vegetables for lunch and I happen to notice some warnings on the bag. Apparently I’m supposed to make sure that whatever wattage my microwave oven is, the carrots get to an internal temperature of 165 F because cooking times may vary.
Just how contaminated is the food supply that CARROTS, something I’m fond of eating raw, have to be cooked thoroughly to avoid food poisoning? There’s nothing on the package label saying “Warning: Processed in a facility that also processes wheat, nuts and weapons grade salmonella.” What are we doing now, just slaughtering livestock in the fields among the crops?
Wow, so Travelex managed to screw me pretty royally. Pretty fitting considering I’m in the UK where they know a little something about royalty. This is a pure rant so if you aren’t interested, I highly recommend the Solar roadways post instead. Like it says in the masthead, “because if I don’t write, I’ll explode.” Sometimes I do these just for me and this is one of those times. However, if you travel internationally, be warned.
My wife and I were watching TV this evening when I paused the show for a bio-break. Unbeknownst to my wife, one of our cats pushed his way in whilst I was in the bathroom. From her vantage point in the living room, this is what she heard: